As Jesus is about to enter into eighteen years of obscurity, Luke gives us only one clue as to His preoccupation during those years, informing us, “And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.” (Luke 2:52)
The temptation is to think that Jesus grew “naturally” in these areas, but the verse implies that Jesus grew intentionally and deliberately. Jesus grew on purpose. It is tempting only to examine Jesus’ miracle-laden ministry, His teaching, His death and resurrection – to look forward at what is about to happen, not look back at what has been. For approximately 3 years Jesus impacted His world, but these 3 years represent only 9% of His life on earth. What about the other 91%?
These silent years of Jesus undoubtedly formed the foundation for the 9%. This is where Jesus grew. Every follower of Jesus and any person who seriously desires to take up the mantle of leading others must also learn to lead themselves. Even though Jesus was God in flesh, He intentionally grew intellectually, physically, spiritually and relationally. If Jesus grew, so should we. Contained with 2:52 lies the blueprint of learning to grow on purpose.